API security refers to methods that prevent malicious attacks on application program interfaces (API). The purpose of APIs is to connect services and transfer data. Broken APIs are a cause of major data breaches. They can be easily hacked and give cybercriminals access to sensitive financial, medical, and personal data.
Multiple types of data can be transferred via APIs, therefore any implementation of security for APIs needs to be specific to the APIs and the data being transferred.
How to stop attacks on API security
Monitor API access and traffic patterns to spot suspicious user behaviour and apply sophisticated algorithms and machine learning to accurately stop bad bots.
With an API management solution in place, you enable an easier security structure and the capability to meet complex security requirements to protect your APIs.
Other popular methods include:
- API gateway. It will allow you to authenticate traffic and control how your APIs are used.
- Bulletproof defence. Identify weak spots of your cyber-defence strategy that could leave your APIs exposed.
- Data encryption. Encrypt your data and require signatures to ensure that only authorised parties can access and utilise your data.
- Tokens. Control access to your services by using tokens assigned to trusted users.
- Throttling. Determine how often your API can be used. More calls on an API may indicate misuse. Set up rules for throttling to protect your service from suspicious traffic spikes and DDOS attacks.
Talk to our team of cyber-security experts today to discover more about our pioneering approach to bot management to help you detect cyber-attacks on your APIs and defend against them.